- This event has passed.
Statewide Tornado Drill
January 16, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Participation in the statewide tornado drill is voluntary.
On the morning of the drill, all participants should consider themselves under a Tornado Watch. A Watch means you should monitor the weather and be prepared to go to a safe place in the event of a Warning. At approximately 10:00 a.m. EST, the National Weather Service will issue a practice Tornado Warning. The Warning will be broadcast on NOAA Alert Radio as a “routine weekly test” message.
Public and commercial broadcasters are encouraged to participate by broadcasting these messages immediately. For the Florida Panhandle counties within the Central time zone, all drill activities will be repeated one hour earlier (9:00 a.m. CST).
In real life, you must listen for the Watch and Warning messages to determine the threat to your area, and decide which protective actions to take. When in doubt, take immediate protective action! Plans may vary depending on the number of adults present, how vulnerable your location is, communications or other factors. All Floridians should use the tornado drill to develop and practice their severe weather plans. Being prepared saves lives!
Statewide Tornado Drill Timeline
School districts, private schools, preschools and daycare centers are urged to participate in the drill. The tornado warning will be broadcast on NOAA Weather Radio and will be encoded as a weekly test for this drill.
- In the weeks before the drill
• Inform staff
• Review and refine a tornado plan (go to http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/safety.html for more information)
- January 16: The Day of the Drill
After 8:00 a.m. EST
Consider a Tornado Watch to be in effect
• Announce watch to staff and/or students
• Designate authority (coordinator)
• Evacuate tornado vulnerable areas
- 10:00 a.m. EST
• Receive test message
• Coordinator determines threat
• Upon determination of immediate threat, give “take shelter” or “duck and cover” command (depending on space available at location)
- 10:30 a.m. EST
Termination of Watch and Warning
• Give instructions to return to normal activities (You will not receive notification. Terminate the drill as you see fit.)
- After the Drill
• Following the drill, assess and revise plan as needed.