The focus of the course is on organizing the nursing home team, implementing command and control measures, and decision-making. NHICS is intended to help nursing homes respond quickly with structure and a focused direction during any emergency. The course is delivered to meet requirements from Health and Human Services (HHS) CMS Emergency Preparedness Rule. The course facilitator will introduce participants to NHICS, describe the system’s principal components and to provide a rationale for nursing home application of a comprehensive incident management system intended for use in both emergent and non-emergent situations.
Training objectives include:
1. Reveal an increased awareness of the impact that the Incident Command System has on healthcare facilities.
2. Describe the relationship of ICS, NIMS and NHICS to the healthcare facility.
3. Understand the need for nursing home planning and the use of a standardized incident management system.
4. Understand the NHICS model and its integration into the current nursing home organization.
5. Prepare individual staff members from emergencies.