This 16-hour workshop is an interactive presentation with hands-on activities led by two professional instructors who are deaf or hard of hearing and who have extensive experience in public safety. Participants will be able to demonstrate effective strategies of communication with people who are deaf or hard of hearing by:
• Explaining how effective communication reduces trauma to victims during events, emergencies, or disasters;
• Outlining effective communication prior to, during, and after incidents of public safety involving people who are deaf or hard of hearing and others with access and functional needs;
• Comparing various sub-groups and their communication needs;
• Recognizing and avoiding legal and safety missteps;
• Demonstrating how to deal with stress from communication barriers when assisting people who are deaf or hard of hearing.
For registration assistance, contact : Brown.Kathi@spcollege.edu 727-344-8027
For course information, contact: Morris.Wayne@spcollege.edu 727-341-4631