- This event has passed.
Plugged In: Communicating During Disasters with the Cognitively Impaired
May 19 @ 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
The speakers are Carol White, Community Educator and Connie Storms, Program Manager. Both are representing the Alzheimer’s Association, Central and North Florida Chapter.
This presentation is intended for healthcare workers, those who staff Special Needs Shelters during disasters, those working with the cognitively-impaired during disasters, and those who conduct disaster planning for the cognitively impaired community.
- Dementia and Disasters – risks and triggers for wandering and agitation
- Importance of attitude, tone of voice and body language in communicating with cognitively impaired
- Tips for interpreting verbal and behavioral communication
- Strategies to connect with clients in any stage of Dementia
- Communication basics: how to work effectively with cognitively impaired caregivers and clients